Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Rambler Visits

I am Flat Rambler and this is my journey. I was adopted by Katelyn in Sutherland, Iowa. Wishing to help me learn about the world, she provided me with an adventure: a journey to Coulee Dam, Washington where Scott and Sheri hosted my educational path in Washington State.

I attended school, visited in Lake Stevens and Spokane, and met a champion bull rider. We rambled from the dry and rural Grand Coulee area to the rainy metropolitan area north of Seattle, Lake Stevens. We rumbled through the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, an old growth forest filled with mystery. We rustled back to the dry Eastern Washington where we learned about the rainshadow effect, the ancient history of lava flows and glacier floods in what is called the Grand Coulee, and the current coulee highlights: The Ridge Riders Saddle Club.

The Grand Coulee Area contains acres of sagebrush and grassland, perfect for cattle and horses and wheat and more. All of which is possible by the irrigation and power of the Grand Coulee Dam.  (PBS American Experience here and here)

The Grand Coulee Area consists of five very small towns: Nespelem to the north, Elmer City, Coulee Dam, Grand Coulee, and Electric City. All the population together is only about 5,000 people! In that way, these small towns are like Sutherland.

We have several restaurants (no big franchises), one movie theater (closed because the projector lamp burned out), a bowling alley, Safeway, Harvest Foods, Ace Hardware, Jess Ford, two banks, The Star Newspaper, Loepps furniture store, and miles and miles of lakes and beaches due to the mighty Grand Coulee Dam. Lake Roosevelt stretches 150 miles all the way back up to Canada (Columbia River), Banks Lake flows thirty miles to Coulee City and Dry Falls, and Lake Rufus Woods flows to Chief Joseph Dam, the last stop for migrating salmon.

Arriving in Coulee Dam, I was greeted by this friendly bear and then tucked in to a soft bed for a rest before the journey here began.


What did I see? What did I learn? This is my journey, all tagged "flat_rambler."


Flat Rambler's visit in 25 seconds:

No comments:

Post a Comment