Monday, May 13, 2013

Update with Gramma for Friday May 3


Learning at school is interesting at Gramma's school. On the counter in the office, I found this! Guess what it is: a plant, yes. a root of a plant, yes.  But more than that, it is a common Native American food: camas. Each spring the kids go to the camas fields around the area. If there is camas in an area,  the ranchers and farmers protect it so the Native Americans can dig their traditional food that they would eat long ago before refrigerators. This is one of them. It is more firm than a mushroom, but has that earthy flavor. It is really delicious! You can read more about it here: Camas and Lewis and Clark.

One thing you need to know: You have to dig the camas when it is blooming. The blue camas is OK to eat; the white flowered camas is poisonous!

The other part of this day was a presentation from the Okanogan Wildlife League. Click the link to see photos of the raptors they have saved. It was an amazing presentation; we got to see hawks, owls, and kestrels that they have saved.

This is my favorite:


Kya, a female American Kestrel, is blind, but still beautiful and well cared for. She travels so her helper can explain how to help injured animals. Be sure to read more at the website. If your class needs a project to raise money, this would be a good place to donate.

That's about all the excitement for this Friday.  Sorry I'm behind, but I'm catching up on my report to you, Dill.

I will write more tomorrow.

Your Flat,

Flat George.

PS

Tomorrow is a hard word to spell.
Here is a link to a kestrel chirping. I can't insert it here because the license agreement says we can't. I can just link to it. I hope you like listening to it. It reminds me of our visit with Kya.

No comments:

Post a Comment